save the princess! excerpt


I wanted to know how people would react to my sound installation, so I used my students as guinea pigs and played this for them when they walked into their large lecture room on Monday.

Ideally this loop would be installed in an elevator. I couldn't leave much space between the sounds because the average time spent in an elevator is around...45 seconds?




When I played this before class, a few of them didn't know what was going on. One student even entered the classroom with a disturbed puzzled look on his face. Another student asked, "What music is this?" (Yes, I realize now that students expect to hear music coming from the speakers in a music classroom.)

When they heard sounds they recognized from the game, they blurted out, "Hey...Super Mario Bros.!" Nostalgic sounds from this video game can brighten anyone's Monday, even if it is the sound of being killed by goombas. (Yes, I had to look that up. Don't judge me.)

Anyway, feedback would be wonderful. Let me know what you think.