Compose Your Own Adventure


I found this post in the Opinionator by composer Jason Freeman. He noticed that only 12.6 percent of Americans play a musical instrument once a year, and he suspects that people create music with less frequency. I don't know if that's true, especially with the advent of digital technologies enabling the layman to compose something via Garageband, etc., but he created a new way to experience one of his compositions.

Jason wrote a piece entitled Piano Etudes (2009) that uses a similar open-score cell format that Terry Riley used in In C.
In “Piano Etudes” (2009), I use technology to make the open score accessible not only to performers but also to audiences, inviting everyone to experience and participate in the work’s creative process. I notated these four short piano pieces as sets of musical fragments connected by arrows. The structure is reminiscent of a choose-your-own-adventure novel, of a flow chart, or of the hyperlinked structure of the Internet. Each version of the piece simply follows the arrows to create a unique path through the score. There are an almost infinite number of possible versions.
To make his score available to others, he converted this


to this


with the help of Akito Van Troyer.

Here's my attempt.




This gives me ideas for my Gray Goo cycle.