Surrounded by Tights

[During the next couple of weeks, I'll be posting about my project with concert:nova.]

Naturally, I'm pretty excited about this upcoming Carnival of the Animals project with concert:nova. Not only do I have fantastic musicians performing my piece, but I will also have the piece choreographed and performed by the Cincinnati Ballet (!).

This is fortuitous: when I was interviewing for the composition program at the Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, they had us composers interview in the dance wing. Admittedly, this was odd and I quickly felt displaced amongst the multiple dancers. Why?

I've never seen so many tights in my life.

I also realized that I'm not as flexible, poised, or pink as these dancers were.


That being said, I was able to work with some dancers in the school. Here is one example.



Next time I'll discuss my inspirations for the piece I wrote for concert:nova. In the meantime, I'll be here.

Composer Jennifer Jolley is originally from Southern California and is currently living in Cincinnati, OH. To listen to her music and learn about future projects, please visit her website www.jenniferjolley.com. Jennifer also authors "Why compose when you can blog?", a web log about contemporary composing.